Monday, May 11, 2009

Mercury & the Moon


Mercury & the Moon
Originally uploaded by oliverleveritt
I was out shooting photos at night -- again. I set up my tripod to take a photo of the moon. There were lots of fast-moving clouds, but I figured they would be invisible across the moon itself during a long exposure. I took this shot and almost discarded it until I looked more closely.

There was something else in the photo. After adjusting brightness and contrast, I saw another planet. A quick Google check led me to info indicating that I had just captured Mercury.

This kind of thing becomes addicting. Now I want to do research to find out when I can possibly get photos of other planets. The problem is that even if I had known that Mercury was lurking up there within range of my camera, I might not have been able to find it. I only captured it through long exposure and light adjustment -- a fortuitous accident of sorts.

No comments:

Post a Comment